Tuesday, March 27, 2018

Around the World in 48 Hours

Over the past few days, I've been working on maps and continents. I started with mapping out the locations of all my little pixels. I started with country capitals and then moved to US state capitals, Canadian provinces, and a few regions of Mexico and China. After placing my dots, I added lines to represent my wiring path. I put it all into a spreadsheet starting with the first pixel in the chain. I ended up with 284 pixel locations.
The next problem was getting the country cutouts to wrap around the frame. I bought foamed PVC sheeting from Monterey Signs. It's very flexible and can be warped with heat. Even then, the sheet did not curve to the sphere well. I then searched around and found an application from NASA that allowed me to make a Sinusoidal Projection with 15 degree gores.
Now it has to be cut out.

No comments:

Post a Comment